So lets go ahead and understand the common reasons for neck pain and what you can do to prevent it.
The common reasons for neck pain are:
- Spending long hours in front of laptop / computer when it is not placed at an appropriate height.
- Driving any vehicle for long time.
- Keeping our neck on a very high pillow while sleeping.
- Stiffness of the muscles from sleeping in a bad posture for long time.
- Weak neck muscles.
Neck muscles are among those few muscles that we use very frequently but forget to strengthen those muscles. It is only when we feel the pain or uncomfortability, we remember that we have muscles surrounding the neck and they also need exercise.
You can do following things to ease your neck pain.
- Click here for an useful read on appropriate settings of laptop / computer use.
- Do the neck exercises every few hours like turning your neck to extreme left, holding for 5- 10 counts and repeating the same while turning the neck to extreme right, up and down.
- Shoulder rotations – Stand upright and keeping your palms on your shoulders, slowly rotate your shoulders in clockwise and then anti-clockwise direction.
- Matsyasana (Fish Pose)
- Lie in supine position with hands below your hips and palms on the ground.
- Breathe in and lift from the elbows and chest.
- Breathe out and lift your head from the ground and touch the crown of your head on the floor.
- Keep normal breathing.
- Stay in this position initially for 10 counts; slowly increase the holding to 1-1 1/2 min.
- I am sharing a link here which shows the video of how to do Matsyasana (fish pose) http://www.ehow.com/video_4399601_sivananda-yoga-matsyasana-fish-pose.html
- Avoid taking pillow below your head while sleeping or take very thin pillow.
- Keep high pillow below your legs for 10 minutes before sleeping so that the blood flow is directed towards the head.
- Avoid any overhead exercises like pull ups, chin ups etc.
My next article will be on knee pain, so STAY TUNED……..